Lifestyle 5 Reasons to Adopt a Pet, Rather Than Buy One By: Aimee | December 17, 2012 | 0 Comments
Guardians of Rescue
Each year in America it is estimated that there are 3 to 4 million cats and dogs euthanized in shelters. As these pets wait for someone to come along and adopt them, many are euthanized because of a lack of space or resources to care for them throughout the process. Meanwhile, millions of people make the decision to get a pet, with many opting to spend hundreds of dollars purchasing a pet from a pet store.
“It’s a shame that we have millions of cats and dogs that sit in shelters waiting for a family and yet people are heading off to breeders to find their family pet,” explains Robert Misseri, president of Guardians of Rescue, an organization dedicated to helping animals in need. “There are just so many good reasons to adopt your next pet, rather than shell out a bunch of money to buy one.”
Those visiting shelters will typically find they have a good selection of cats and dogs to choose from, including many different breeds, sizes, and ages. Millions of pets are surrendered each year to shelters for a variety of reasons, including because people are relocating to a home that doesn’t allow pets, or that people may have economic difficulty trying to take care of the pet.
Here are 5 reasons to adopt a pet, rather than buy one from a store or breeder:
1. Save a life. Millions of animals waiting in shelters will end up being euthanized if they are not adopted. When an animal is adopted from a shelter it is literally a life being saved.
2. Don’t support mills. Many pets that are sold in stores are raised in ‘puppy mills,’ where they live in less than desirable conditions. The puppy mills just pump out as many pets as they can, with little regard for the well being of the animals.
3. Teach compassion. Especially if you have a child, adopting a pet can teach a valuable lesson in having compassion. Take the child along and let them help choose the pet and see that the adoption is helping to save a life.
4. Save money. Purchasing a pet from a store is expensive, with many people spending hundreds of dollars. Adopting from a shelter is affordable, as people typically only need to pay a small fee to help cover their sterilization and vaccinations.
5. Good karma. Adopting a pet from a shelter will make people feel good and provides a lot of good karma points. It’s doing something good, so good things will come in return.
“Some people have reservations about shelter animals, but they are based on myths,” added Misseri. “For those who are looking to adopt a pet, just stop into a shelter or two and take a look around. There is a good chance that your eyes will meet with one that will steal your heart and bring you all the benefits of adopting.”
The Guardians of Rescue is an organization that has a mission of helping all animals in distress. They provide such services as rehab, rescue, foster care, and help keep families who have economic difficulty with their pets. To learn more, or to make a donation to support the Guardians of Rescue, log onto www.guardiansofrescue.org.
JustLuxe is a luxury Web publication providing objective analysis and information to affluent consumers to assist with their decision making, such as chartering a yacht, purchasing a jet membership card, booking a luxury hotel, traveling to a specific destination, or buying real estate. Our writers conduct interviews with industry executives and leaders in their fields, analyze product offerings and review the Web sites of leading companies to ensure our readers have up-to-date data to make informed decisions. Consumers can find purveyors of fine luxury goods, services and travel solutions throughout the pages of JustLuxe via content or with our advertising partners. See our Best of Luxury high-end brands and partners.