The thriving downtown of Indianapolis is home to the Historic Canterbury Hotel. This unique and cozy, luxury boutique hotel is like no other in the city, featuring traditional charm, several distinguished room types, sophisticated artwork, and home-like warmth. It is perfect for someone seeking an intimate and comfortable hotel atmosphere, all with a thriving metropolis right outside their front door.
Turner Woodard, Canterbury’s owner, put his stamp on the property after purchasing it in 2010. He has been instrumental in the creation of the hotel’s theme, selection of color schemes, fine materials, furniture and accent pieces for the hotel. His personal attention to detail has made the Canterbury unique by forsaking cookie-cutter styles often found in many hotels. The Canterbury is a classic with an Old English country house feel featuring pops of vibrant color and rich, distinctive details here and there. Woodard has made the hotel feel like home by adding special touches around the property, including his personal artwork, miniature collectible model cars, and, on special occasions, a few of his own classic and modern vehicles are showcased at the hotel’s entrance.
The Canterbury’s staff prides itself on having fine management and a professional team with significant years and experience in the hospitality industry. Hotel patrons are more than room occupants; they are welcomed guests who receive personal attention. The goal is customer satisfaction and making the stay special, memorable and personal for guests. With round-the-clock concierge availability and 24-hour room service, special requests are bound to be met to the fullest.
My experience at the Canterbury Hotel was highlighted by a few things: time spent…. gazing at the glistening chandelier and fine furnishings in the jewel-box style Atrium, which was also decorated beautifully for Christmas, appreciating the finely-appointed art and wall décor throughout the hotel, and feasting on freshly-baked scones, fresh berries, and homemade whipped cream before bed. After that bed-time snack, I settled into my bed like a kid on Christmas Eve--with dreams of powdered-sugared scones dancing in my head. It was quite lovely and somewhat nostalgic. Maybe you, too, can take the time to visit and make your own sweet memories at the Canterbury Hotel.
A favorite of visiting celebrities, the Historic Canterbury Hotel features 99 rooms of varying sizes, styles, and color schemes.
( http://www.canterburyhotel.com/accommodation-en.html )
• Standard king and queen rooms
• Queen and king suites
• King parlor suites
• Bi-level Penthouse suites
• 1 Presidential suite
A Few of the Hotel’s Amenities:
• Private entrance to Circle Center Mall
• Complimentary WiFi & Coffee Station
• Complimentary cardio room and privileges at 2 local gyms
• Complimentary morning newspapers
• Concierge service and secretarial services
• 24-hour room service
• Multilingual staff
• Turner's Cocktails & Cuisine, elegant fine dining in a setting with European ambiance, is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner offering American and continental cuisine. Additionally, hotel guests enjoy 24-hour room service. (http://www.canterburyhotel.com/turners-restaurant-en.html )
• Afternoon Tea- Tea for two or tea just for you….served Tuesday through Saturday in the beautiful Atrium at 4 p.m. A formal tea time with scrumptious scones, finger sandwiches, etc. A special treat to go with your treats—the experience is accompanied by piano. Absolutely charming;! Even better, the scones with whipped butter, and berries with freshly whipped cream are outstanding!
Weddings, Meetings and Special Events
• The Canterbury has 2,000 square feet of space for meetings and events, including a glistening Atrium with beautiful chandeliers, and a polished and stately library symbolic of a White House room. Perfect for intimate weddings and receptions.
Specials and Packages
(As detailed on the hotel’s website:
• Winter Wonderland- Spend a warm winter evening at the Historic Canterbury Hotel. Enjoy a romantic carriage ride for two from the front portico of the hotel.
Sip hot chocolate with a side of freshly baked scones made by the hotel chef.
Valet parking included. Package price starts at $249. For more information call (317)634-3000.
• Stay and Shop- Enjoy a downtown Indianapolis shopping spree. This package includes accommodations in a Standard Queen room, a $100 American Express Gift Card for shopping, and a complimentary gift pack from Circle Centre Mall, accessible from the hotel through a private entrance. After a long day of shopping relax with afternoon tea. 24-hour valet service is included. Package starts at $289.00. For more information call (317)634-3000.
• Indiana Repertory Theatre tickets- Book a hotel overnight package or guest room then add theatre tickets for just $25 each. The theatre is just a block-and- a- half away from the hotel. For best seats book at least seven days in advance. Tickets will be waiting for you upon arrival at the hotel. For more information call (317)634-3000.
The Canterbury Hotel is situated in a prime location in downtown Indianapolis. Most of the city’s key attractions are within 1 mile of the hotel.
• Circle Center Mall connected by Canterbury’s private entrance
• There are a host of prime restaurants in the area, including St. Elmo’s Steakhouse
• Indianapolis Convention Center - 1 block (Skywalk connection)
• Lucas Oil Stadium (Home of Indianapolis Colts) - 1 block (Skywalk connection)
• Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Home of the Indiana Pacers & Fever) - 2 blocks
• Indiana Repertory Theater - 2 1/2 blocks
• Hilbert Circle Theater - 4 blocks
• Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra - 1/2 mile
• IMAX theater - 3/4 of a mile
• Indiana State Museum - 3/4 of a mile
• Indianapolis Zoo, White River State Park and Gardens- 3/4 of a mile
• NCAA Hall of Champions - 3/4 of a mile
• Indianapolis Motor Speedway - 4 miles
• Indianapolis International Airport - 6 1/2 miles
Historic Canterbury Hotel
123 South Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225
Toll Free: 1-800-538-8186
Local Phone: (317) 634-3000
Special thanks to the Historic Canterbury Hotel and the Woodard family, Starr Peterson, Director of Sales and Marketing, and Rae Hostetler of Hostetler Public Relations.