Are you bored of your old rum and coke and are wondering what you should order next time you are on a night out? There are so many different types of cocktails out there, so why not try something new?
Common Types of Cocktails
A cocktail usually contains at least one, but sometimes two types of liquor – along with a mixer. The mixer could be soda, fruit juice, bitters or cream. There are countless different ingredients that you could mix in a cocktail, therefore the possibilities are virtually limitless. However, here are a few of the most common drinks that almost every bartender will know:
· Bloody Mary – This is a drink made with tomato juice, vodka and various spices – usually topped with a stick of celery.
· Cosmopolitan – A girly drink usually made with vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice and triple sec.
· Mint Julep – A refreshing summer drink made with bourbon, water, sugar and of course, mint.
· Pimm’s Cup – Another popular drink for summer parties, this is made with Pimm’s liquor, spices and fruit juice.
· Cuba Libre – This tasty and sweet cocktail is made with rum, cola and lime.
· Pina Colada – A somewhat heavy and creamy cocktail, it is made with pineapple juice and coconut cream – perfect for drinking on the beach.
If you want to try any of these delicious cocktails, or a few creative new ones, you can slide up to the bar at Fish and Meat – one of the best Western restaurants in Hong Kong. They have talented mixologists who play with the traditional styles of drinks and create classic drinks with different ingredients for an innovative twist.
What are the Different Types of Cocktail Glasses Used For?
Not only are there many different types of cocktails, but there are also several styles of glasses that are used to serve them in. Here are a few of the common glasses that you will see behind a bar and what they are used for:
· The Highball Glass –This tall glass is usually filled with a Harvey Wallbanger or a Bloody Mary.
· The Lowball Glass – This glass is similar to the highball, yet shorter. It is usually used for whiskey cocktails.
· The Cocktail Glass – This glass, which is known as the “Margarita Glass”, is used to serve many different cocktails.
· The Martini Glass – This is a triangular shaped glass that is very wide and shallow and is used to serve Martinis – as well as margaritas.
· The Shot Glass – This type of glass is designed for small shots of liquor that are designed to be swallowed in a single swig.
· The Brandy Snifter – This is a glass that is used to sip high quality cognac or brandy, as the large surface area makes the most of the aroma of the drink.
Now that you know a little more about the best cocktails and how they are served, what will you order next time you are standing at the bar on a night out with your friends?