Ingredients for the Ahi (4 servings)
- 3 blocks Ahi, sashimi grade (1 inch square 2.5 inch length)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin, grounded
- 1 teaspoon Garlic purée
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 pieces Baby carrots
- 4 pieces Baby beets
- 1 piece Red bell pepper
- ? piece Maui, onion
- 1 piece Jalape?o
- 2 tablespoons Molokai ogo, (seaweed) sliced
- ? piece Lime, juice
- ? piece Lemon, juice
- 4 sprigs Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cloves Garlic, peeled, stem removed
- 8 pieces Anchovy
- ? cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
Blanch 5 times the garlic in boiling water, (to remove the aggressive taste). Simmer the blanched garlic in milk for 8 minutes. Blend the garlic, milk, olive oil and anchovies until smooth purée, season with white pepper from the pepper mill. Season the ahi blocks with the garlic, the cumin, salt and pepper. Sear the blocks with olive oil in a non adhesive frying pan.
Cut each block into 4 cubes.
Slice paper thin (best with a Japanese mandoline) the carrots, beets, maui onion, bell pepper. Cut the jalape?o into small brunoise.
Mix all the vegetable and ogo with the lime and lemon juices, olive oil, cilantro, season to taste.
On individual, rectangular plate, arrange the ahi, 4 pieces in the row, one row of vegetable ceviche, anchovy purée in between.
George Mavrothalassitis is Chef and Owner of Chef Mavro, 1969 South King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826; 808-944-4714, ChefMavro.com.
This post originally appeared at CityRoom.com.