Chef Todd English uses his award-winning, rustic approach to Mediterranean cuisine by combining fresh ingredients to produce this wonderful starter-- perfect for any dinner party or entertaining endeavor.
- Country bread, 6 (3/4-inch) slices
- Olive oil, 1/4 cup
- Garlic, 2 cloves halved
- Tomato, 1 medium halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees to 400 degrees (medium-high) heat. Brush both sides of bread with oil
- Grill, covered with grill lid, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until toasted
- Rub toast slices on 1 side with cut sides of garlic halves. Rub tomato halves over garlic on bread
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Rub toast slices with fresh mint sprigs after rubbing with garlic. (Youíll need about 10 fresh mint sprigs.) Proceed as directed in recipe.
Top each toast slice with about 1 Tbsp. Gorgonzola cheese after sprinkling with salt and pepper.
Tuna and Green Olive:
Gently stir together 1 (5-oz.) can chunk light tuna packed in oil, drained and flaked; 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted Spanish olives; 1/3 cup mayonnaise; and 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice in a medium bowl. Rub tomato halves over garlic on bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon 2 Tbsp. tuna mixture onto each toast. Sprinkle tuna mixture with chopped fresh parsley.
Print This Recipe