April 19, 2011
Tippu?s Fort also known as Palghat fort is situated at the heart of Palghat town, Kerala. It was built by Hyder Ali of Mysore in 1766 AD. It was supposed to be built to promote communication between Coimbatore and the West Coast. This fort was the military headquarters of Hyder Ali and Tippu. In 1784 the British rebuilt the fort and used as their defense centre against Tippu. Later the Zamorins captured it and in 1790 was recaptured by the British. There is a Hanuman Temple here. Today some government offices are functioning in this fort.
Read entire article on India Travel Tours