It is no secret that food prices have been on the rise the last couple of years. Good Housekeeping went on a mission to find out which ingredients faced the largest price increase in 2011.
1. Nuts: According to Market Analysts Mintec, the average wholesale cost of nuts increased 36% from April 2010 to April 2011.
2. Eggs: Egg prices increase by 22.8% in 2011 due to the decrease in the number of laying hens.
3. Apples: Americans are consuming more expensive apple varieties causing the price to spike up 12.3%.
4. Potatoes: The Consumer Price Index reported that potato prices were up 11.9% due to crop loses and seed shortages.
5. Fats & Oils: A rise in soybean oil prices this year lead to an overall increase of 11.1% in the price of fats and oils.