May 8, 2013
[ Photographs: Joshua Bousel ]
About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Special equipment: Blender
serves makes about 2 1/2 cups, active time 15 minutes, total time 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) jar piquillo or roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
Read entire article on Serious Eats
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, peppers, vinegar, smoked paprika, and hot paprika. Cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Using a immersion blender, or transferring to regular blender, puree sauce until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes prior to use. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.