May 21, 2013
World Nutella Day will likely survive after all.
The fan-led event, which celebrates the hazelnut spread annually in February, seemed threatened when the event's founder, Sara Rosso, said earlier this week that lawyers for the brand sent her a cease-and-desist letter. She blogged about the letter, drawing plenty of media coverage and outcry from Nutella fans who wondered why the Ferrero-owned brand would want to stop the grassroots effort, which seemed to only bring good PR. But in a blog post today, Ms. Rosso said Ferrero employees "reached out to me directly after I had posted my fan letter online" and that "they were very gracious and supportive and we were able to have a productive discussion about World Nutella Day living on for the fans, which is the whole point." http://www.nutelladay.com/
She also posted a statement from Ferrero, which described their initial letter as a "routine brand defense procedure." Here is Ferrero's full statement. (Ad Age confirmed its authenticity with the marketer's U.S. division.):
Continue reading at AdAge.com
Read entire article on Advertising Age