St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral
Nice and the French Riviera were fashionable holiday resorts for
Russian nobility in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, leading
to a close relationship between the regions that culminated in the
rose-pink Russian Orthodox Cathedral, one of the most beautiful
buildings in Nice. Topped with the onion-shaped domes distinctive
to Russian cathedrals, the church was built by Tsar Nicholas II in
1912 and is the largest of its kind outside of Russia. There is
presently an ownership dispute between the Russian government and
the current tenants, part of an overseas jurisdiction. No matter
who owns it, the odd image of the Russian spires set against the
background of palm trees on the Cote d'Azur is one of the most
interesting sights in Nice.
Address: Avenue Nicolas II
Postal Code: 0600
Telephone: +33 (0)4 9396 8
Transportation: Northwest of the central train station.
Opening Time: May to September: 9am-12pm and 2:30-6pm; closes 5pm
October to April.