Church of San Francisco
The most spectacular of Lima's colonial churches, San Francisco
is a striking white and yellow building with twin towers and a
stone fa?žade. It was one of the few buildings to survive the
devastation of the 1746 earthquake and is famous for its
underground catacombs that contain the bones and skulls of an
estimated 70,000 people. The interior of the church has arches and
columns decorated with beautiful mosaic tiles and an exquisitely
carved Moorish-style wooden ceiling above the staircase leading to
the cloisters. The church also contains a superb 17th-century
library with thousands of antique texts and a room containing
painted masterpieces by Reubens, Van Dyck and Jordaens.
Address: Corner of Lampa and Ancash Avenues
Opening Time: Daily 9:30am-5:45pm.
Admission: PEN 5. concessions available