Fort Hamilton is a substantial Victorian fort with a panoramic
view of Hamilton Harbour. It is one in a series of fortifications
built in the mid-19th century during a period of rising tensions
between Britain and the USA. The ramparts are mounted with 18-ton
artillery pieces (to date unused) capable of firing 400-pound
(181kg) cannonballs through iron-hulled vessels. Located nearby is
Clarence Cove, a popular little beach that forms part of Admiralty
House Park. The house itself dates from the early 19th century and
was built as the residence of the Royal Navy's regional commander.
Another military echo along North Shore Road, Black Watch Well,
marked with a memorial tablet, was dug by troops of the famous
Scottish regiment during a drought in 1849.
Address: Pembroke, Middle Road, Bermuda
Telephone: (441) 292 1234
Opening Time: Fort open daily, from 8am to sunset