Eight days and billions of lost dollars after the walk-off that shut down the United States' busiest port, dockworkers have finally agreed to return to work and put an end to the massive shipping shutdown. A tentative agreement was reached shortly after federal mediators arrived, a deal that put stop to the nearly $760 million dollar a day protest in Los Angeles.
Work resumed Wednesday at the nation’s busiest port complex after a crippling strike was settled, ending an eight-day walk-off that affected thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in cargo.
Gates at the Los Angeles and Long Beach harbors reopened, and dockworkers were ready to resume loading and unloading ships that had been stuck for days, Los Angeles port spokesman Phillip Sanfield said.
Internet pioneer John McAfee — wanted for questioning in death — makes elementary digital mistake.
“It’s going to take a few days, maybe a week or two to get back to normal,” Long Beach port spokesman Art Wong said.