Mumbai was rocked in 2008 by a tragic attack and loss of life that threw the country into a wave of security measures that included a sixty day gap on a foreign national's ability to visit the country from a number of nations in the region. India announced Tuesday that this security revision will be lifted, a welcome boon to local tourism and a relief for those who criticized the practice as off-putting.
India on Tuesday said it had lifted restrictions placed on tourist visas after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which had been blamed for putting off visitors and criticised by some countries.
The rule required tourists to wait for two months between visits to India -- complicating regional trips and deterring regular visitors to a country that is keen to boost its tourism industry.
"It has been decided to lift the restriction of the two-month gap on re-entry of foreign nationals coming to India" on a tourist visa, the home ministry said in a statement, adding the rule was changed following a government review.
Read More on smh.com.au