The stories surrounding the horrors of the mid-twentieth century are too long and too many to recount, but as time has gone on the up and coming generationsof Warsaw and beyond have lost touch with that dark period of history. To stop the decline and forever enshrine the memory of those who perished, the city of Warsaw is proudly constructing the new Museum of the History of Polish Jews dedicated to the preservation of history and the binding of all generations to the memory of the past.
On an April morning in 1943, the last 50,000 of Warsaw’s once thriving Jewish community decided to die with dignity.
For three years they had been stripped of their humanity by degrees. First came the ghetto, concentrating 400,000 people into a 3km by 3km walled-in space behind brick walls. Packed eight to a room in increasingly squalid conditions, the occupying Nazi forces watched and waited as starvation and disease did their terrible work. After the Final Solution was agreed, a mass deportation in 1942 to the nearby death camp of Treblinka emptied the ghetto of 300,000 people. Having learned of what fate awaited them, the remaining 50,000 ghetto inhabitants vowed to put up the final fight of their lives.
Read More on irishtimes.com