Last Friday, while walking out the door in what was obviously an expert ensemble of cuffed boyfriend jeans, a dark blue and white striped button down, navy blazer, and nude heels, my mother stopped me and actually said, “Oh my god, what are you wearing?”
I didn’t take this to heart because my mother wears my own hand-me-downs, but nonetheless, I was awestruck! Flabbergasted! Mostly, I was shock that there was a person in this world who didn’t appreciate the beauty of boyfriend jeans from a nonexistent boyfriend.
Back in the day, we dropped dollars on the wonderful jegging, which felt like a legging but looked like a jean. Miracles do happen. Now, not only do my jeggings no longer fit (it’s been a rough couple of years), but each time I put them on I feel like I’m trying to live in 2003 by squeezing into way-too-tight jeans plus I can’t wait till 5:00 pm when I can put my pajama pants back on.
Anyway, baggy jeans have made a comeback, which is great for me and my continuously ballooning post-grad figure. So why exactly are boyfriend jeans such a blessing?
1. You don’t actually need a boyfriend to wear them. Actually, my boyfriend only wears Chubbies and basketball shorts. If you did actually borrow jeans from your boyfriend, there’s a good chance they would fit you just as weirdly as they fit him anyway, but I guess if you had to (maybe walk of shaming?), you could probably rock the trend with a tucked in collared shirt.
2. They flatter all body types. Unlike most trends, the boyfriend jean favors even the short and squat, such as myself, alongside the beanpole type. This is great because us unmodelesque people don’t need to try to shove ourselves into tight clothing and count the minutes until we can breathe again. Instead, we can hide our chub and look nice.
3. You can instantly hike your fashion game. Paired with other more coiffed pieces (such as heels, sleek shirts, and suave jackets) you can make an otherwise pretty comfortable outfit trendy and fashion-forward. It’s pretty much the best thing to happen since… jeggings.
4. Boyfriend jeans are not limited to one season. On chilled summer days or spring days, you can wear them with short boots or sandals – tackling the issue of what to wear in 65 degree weather. On the same end, you can bring them into fall with short boots, as long as it isn’t too cold since those holes get awful breezy.
5.You can wear them any day of the week. Besides having Casual Friday to rock them (the most perfect day of the week), you can also bring these babies out to the bar on Fridays, shopping on Saturdays, and to the grocery store on Sundays. Depending on the pairing, you can bring them to tons of casual occasions… just like you did with the jegging.
6. The trend can be extended to other pieces. I love this baggy piece so much that I bring it into the summer… sort of. Short, tight jorts are long over. Instead, baggy, gypsy and loose pieces are in, as long as they are paired with seemingly clashing pieces that are more chic. I love ripped, frayed, and holey shorts to go to the beach and back to the bar.
The bottom line? A pair of well-made boyfriend jeans is worth the investment and designer price tag. We never thought we would get the blessing of the comfort of a jegging once again, but eureka, they live on.