A short distance to the east of central Savannah stands
Georgia's oldest standing fort, surrounded by a deep tidal moat.
The fort was preceded by a mud battery, the brick fort having been
built in 1808. It was the headquarters for the Confederate river
defences during the Civil War, when it was enlarged and
strengthened. The fort today contains numerous exhibits pertaining
to the war. Living history demonstrations are staged in spring and
Address: 1 Fort Jackson Road
Telephone: (912) 232 3945
Opening Time: Daily 9am-5pm.
Admission: $6 (adults), free for children under six years of age.
Other concessions available.