Once youíve chosen the perfect place to rest your head among the many great Niagara Falls resorts, itís time to learn some useful and unnecessary facts about this breathtaking and magical place.
- Niagara Falls is the collective name for three water Falls that overlap the international borders of Canada and New York.
- You are almost always guaranteed to see a rainbow if youíre on the Canadian side of the Falls. To capture this beautiful phenomenon be sure grab your camera and visit from about noon until the sun sets.
- Fish actually travel over the Falls. Donít believe it? Visit the Cave of the Winds for $10. This place will prove the fact and you might even meet someone who has actually been struck by a fish on his journey down the Falls.
- Approximately 90% of the fish that travel down Niagara Falls survive. It is believed that the white foam from the rushing waters acts like a cushion for the fish traveling down the waters.
- Back in the 1800ís Niagara Falls was nearly frozen solid. The water was so frozen that only a small trickle of water traveled down the Falls.
- About 28,000,000 (thatís 28 million!) liters of water travel down Niagara Falls every second.
- The first person to ever go over the Falls was a courageous 63-year-old teacher. She traveled down the Falls in a barrel.
- About 20% of the drinking water in the United States goes through and over Niagara Falls. Yup, you have most likely drank water that came from the Falls.
- Niagara Falls is not the highest waterfall in the world. There are actually about 500 waterfalls that are taller than Niagara. Itís actually the combination of height and large volume of water that makes Niagara Falls a great tourist destination.
- Although Niagara Falls isnít the tallest waterfall in the world, it may be the fastest moving waterfall on the planet.
- Niagara Falls is the result of glaciers.
- Parts of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed at Niagara Falls. Superman and Niagara starring Marilyn Monroe were also filmed here.
Now that youíre armed with many interesting facts about Niagara Falls, itís time to go enjoy the beautiful views. Book a room at one of the beautiful and luxurious Niagara Falls resorts and build memories that will last a lifetime.
Jesse Dugan is a part of an elite team of writers who have contributed to hundreds of blogs and news sites. Follow him @JesseDugan.