BY AFOMA EGUH OKAFOR: MRS NIGERIA!
Statistics have shown that about 35,000 infants (1 out of every 125) are born with heart defects each year in the United States. Each year, more than 35,000 babies in the United States are born with congenital heart defects.
When my daughter Destiny was born, it was hard for me to believe how congenital diseases could change someone's life forever. But the availability of resources from Texas Children's Hospital, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, Atlanta Children's Hospital, And St Jude's Research Hospital offered me the advantage that helped my daughter to be the shinning star she was born to be.My daughter Destiny was born a full term child, but then was diagnosed immediately after birth. My entire Destiny was changed from the day she was born. Prior to giving birth to her l was never pre-warned about any birth defect, it was never detected, until my daughter came into the World and took her first breathe, that was when her diagnosis was made.
- My goal as Mrs. International is to make sure that no child is left behind!
- l want to be able to reach out to those countless Mothers who were thrown off the Cliff like l was the day my Daughter was born!
- Organize lectures, prepare articles as to what to expect as soon as the news comes, since with my knowledge so far, Congenital Heart defect presents only at birth. There are no warnings, it just happens!
- Educate mothers to be able to follow the advice of every physician involved in their child's case. During my time l was very ignorant, sometimes l will fight the Doctors thinking that they were hurting my Daughter on purpose. It was when l finally attended Medical School that l realized, how hard the Doctors worked to save my little girl's life.
- I will use my platform as Mrs International to provide information which can supplement what doctors and other professionals provide!
- With my Medical background l will help in providing definitions of medical terminologies to those parents taken unawares!
- I will research and recomend hospitals caring for people with Congenital Heart Diseases!
- With the Social Media, l will Connect parents to network and share experiences!
- l will also Link affected families to support groups close to their neighbourhoods!
- I will prepare different articles regarding the Congenital Heart Diseases!
- Also, l will research every resources needed for the Congenital Heart Disease community!
Since l have faced the deepest challenge, and still standing strong, my daughter is 13 years now, and she is full of life and vigor. l know l will be able to help the families in need if l am crowned as Mrs. International!!!
AFOMA EGUH OKAFOR: MRS NIGERIA
Suntory Sends Whiskey Into Space for Boozy Study