Steak night is kicked up a notch with Chef Todd English’s addition of raita, a classical Indian ingredient. Toasted corn, jalapeno, ginger, and Sriracha sauce combine to make a flavorfully distinctive marinade that compliments not only steak, but many other mains.
“Loaded with aromatics, this marinade is a perfect match for grilled steaks. Marinate the steak for a few hours to really soak up the flavors, and serve it thinly sliced with my Sweet Corn Raita Salad! We used the marinade with the sliced beef tenderloin on our cover.”
- Soy sauce, 1 cup
- Balsamic vinegar, ? cup
- Brown sugar, ? cup firmly packed
- Worcestershire sauce, ? cup
- Sesame oil, ? cup
- Fresh ginger, 3 Tbsp. chopped
- *Sriracha sauce, 1 Tbsp
- Garlic, 3 cloves chopped
- Skirt steak, 3 lb.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- *Substitue 1 chopped jalapeno pepper for sriracha sauce
- 1. Whisk together first 8 ingredients and 1 cup water in a large shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag; add steak. Cover or seal, and chill 2 to 6 hours
- 2. Preheat grill to 350 to 400 degrees (medium-high) heat. Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper
- 3. Grill steak, covered with grill lid, 8 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices
Ingredients for Corn Raita
- Fresh corn kernels, 2 cups
- Plain Greek yogurt, 2 cups
- Fresh cilantro leaves, 2 tbsp. chopped
- Ground cumin, 1 tsp.
- Kosher salt, ? tsp.
- Freshly ground black pepper, ? tsp.
- Red onion, 2 Tbsp. finely chopped Jalapeno pepper, 1 seeded and minced (optional)
- 1. Heat a large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add corn to pan; cook 1 minute without stirring. Stir and cook 2 more minutes or until corn is beginning to brown. Transfer corn to a plate; cool completely.
- 2. Stir together yogurt and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Fold in corn and onion. Add jalapeno pepper, if desired. 3 cups