From the talented pastry chef Karen Hatfield of Hatfield’s Restaurant in L.A., this decadent dessert is in keeping with her innovative style that uses a combination of classic and contemporary that never fails to yield satisfying surprises. The first location of Hatfield’s, which she opened with her husband, received a Michelin star. (Serves 8-10)
- 8-9 Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup huckleberries
- Zest of half a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 1/2 t. Apple pectin
- Toss apples in sugar and let macerate for an hour. Add lemon juice and zest, and pectin.
- In a buttered casserole dish, layer a third of the apples and sprinkle a third of the huckleberries over.
- Repeat two more times, saving a few apples to cover the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes then arrange shortbread circles over the top, covering about 50% of the fruit.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes more, or until shortcake is golden and fruit is bubbly.