Photo Courtesy of Patrick BrysThis is a great end-of-summer salad, when sweet corn and tomatoes are in full season. The smoky grill and fresh vegetable flavors go beautifully with the sweet tangy balsamic and salty Parmesan cheese.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Pair With: 2009 Brys Estate Vineyard & Winery Pinot Noir
Depending on how many people you are serving, you will need 1 head of Romaine for each 2 servings and 1 ear of corn for each 4 servings.
- Romaine lettuce heads
- Fresh Michigan sweet corn
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, diced radishes, diced
- Green onion, sliced
- Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Good Balsamic vinegar
- Good extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Pre-heat bbq grill over high heat. Rinse and pat dry the romaine heads. Slice romaine heads in half lengthwise so that you end up with 2 identical pieces.
- Shuck corn and remove any silks by hand. Place romaine on the grill cut side down and grill for 2-3 minutes with the grill lid open until the edges are just beginning to blacken.
- Remove romaine from heat. Reduce heat to medium. Place corn on grill and rotate every few minutes until the corn is partially blackened on all sides.
- Remove from heat. Once corn has cooled, cut the corn kernels off the cob. Once grilled, the grilled romaine and grilled corn can be refrigerated for a couple hours until ready to serve.
- To assemble, place grilled romaine on plate, top with the grilled corn kernels, diced radishes, tomato, green onion and shaved parmesan cheese.
- There is no measuring here, just top each salad with however much of any of the listed ingredients you like. Drizzle with good quality balsamic and olive oil, then season with salt and fresh ground pepper.