News & Trends: Johnny Depp has been voted the Top Money-Making Star for 2010 in Quigley Publishing Company's 79th Annual Poll of Motion Picture Exhibitors.
This is the third time he has been the top-drawing star, as he also was number one in 2006 and 2007. Angelina Jolie, Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon, and Steve Carell rounded out the top five money-making stars of the past year.
The annual survey polls theater owners and film buyers, asking them to vote for the 10 stars that they think generated the most box-office revenue for their theaters. The results of this study are regarded as one of the most reliable measures of movie stars' real box-office draw, because the selections are made by professionals whose decisions determine their livelihood. Additionally, the top two actors voted Stars of Tomorrow for 2010 were Zach Galifianakis and Michelle Williams.
The results appear annually in the International Motion Picture Almanac and on quigleypublishing.com.
Top 10 Money-Making Stars of 2010 and the Films:
1. Johnny Depp-Alice in Wonderland; The Tourist
2. Angelina Jolie-Salt; The Tourist
3. Robert Downey, Jr.-Ironman 2; Due Date
4. Matt Damon-Green Zone; Hereafter; True Grit
5. Steve Carell-Dinner for Schmucks; Date Night; Despicable Me
6. Tom Hanks-Toy Story 3
7. Denzel Washington-The Book of Eli; Unstoppable
8. Leonardo DiCaprio-Inception; Shutter Island
9. George Clooney-The American
10. Anne Hathaway-Valentine's Day; Alice in Wonderland; Love and Other Drugs
Source: Quigley Publishing Company