General Martínez Campos, 37
(00 34) 91 3101584
It was created by the wish of the widow of Sorolla, Clotilde García del Castillo, who in 1925 donated all his assets to Spain to found a museum in memory of her husband. Late Doña Clotilde, accepting the legacy on March 28, 1931, and June 11 the following year opened the museum. Joaquin Sorolla García, the only son of the marriage, was the first Director of the Museum until his death, by the wish of its founder. Joaquin made a will in 1941 bequeathing funds to the State. After his death in 1948, the donation was accepted in 1951. These latter funds are now owned by the Fundación Museo Sorolla, according to legal status as the regulation, July 30, 1993. Since 1973, the State Museum is under the Ministry of Culture.